Proxmox Ceph Missing RGW Module

Jul 3, 2021
I've just installed radosgw with apt install radosgw on my Proxmox Ceph 18.2.4 Reef cluster as well as the Ceph dashboard in the hopes of managing the object storage from it, however the dashboard throws a number of internal errors as it requires the rgw module to be enabled. When checking the documentation, it shows that I just need to run ceph mgr module enable rgw to enable the rgw module, but I just get an error that it's not available. Error ENOENT: all mgr daemons do not support module 'rgw', pass --force to force enablement The rgw module isn't even listed in the result of ceph mgr module ls
Code:
MODULE
balancer           on (always on)
crash              on (always on)
devicehealth       on (always on)
orchestrator       on (always on)
pg_autoscaler      on (always on)
progress           on (always on)
rbd_support        on (always on)
status             on (always on)
telemetry          on (always on)
volumes            on (always on)
dashboard          on
iostat             on
nfs                on
restful            on
alerts             -
influx             -
insights           -
localpool          -
mirroring          -
osd_perf_query     -
osd_support        -
prometheus         -
selftest           -
snap_schedule      -
stats              -
telegraf           -
test_orchestrator  -
zabbix             -
Is there something I'm missing? Thank you!

I've realized the actual issue seems to be that Ceph mgr isn't able to read the Ceph config file?

Code:
2024-10-19T04:37:44.539-0700 70b006a006c0  0 [dashboard DEBUG root] Error 1 executing ['radosgw-admin', '-c', '/etc/ceph/ceph.conf', '-k', '/var/lib/ceph/mgr/ceph-R710-1-proxmox/keyring', '-n', 'mgr.R710-1-proxmox', 'zone', 'list']: global_init: unable to open config file from search list /etc/ceph/ceph.conf
2024-10-19T04:37:44.545-0700 70b006a006c0  0 [dashboard ERROR exception] Dashboard Exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/ceph/mgr/dashboard/services/exception.py", line 47, in dashboard_exception_handler
    return handler(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/lib/python3/dist-packages/cherrypy/_cpdispatch.py", line 54, in __call__
    return self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/share/ceph/mgr/dashboard/controllers/_base_controller.py", line 263, in inner
    ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/share/ceph/mgr/dashboard/controllers/_rest_controller.py", line 191, in wrapper
    return func(*vpath, **params)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/share/ceph/mgr/dashboard/controllers/rgw.py", line 1020, in list
    result = multisite_instance.list_zones()
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/share/ceph/mgr/dashboard/services/rgw_client.py", line 1535, in list_zones
    raise DashboardException(msg='Unable to fetch zone list',
dashboard.exceptions.DashboardException: Unable to fetch zone list

Running the command manually works fine, so it appears to be a permissions issue.

I found this post talking about the exact same issue, It also seems to be slightly related to this bug with ceph-crash from a year ago.

I tried adding the ceph user to the www-data group to see if that would resolve it, and while I was able to run the command as ceph with sudo, the dashboard still gives the same error.

As for the rgw module, it seems to be omitted by Proxmox for some reason, but can be manually added if desired by downloading the module source to /usr/share/ceph/mgr/rgw.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!