Proxmox Ceph Erasure code Profile change

May 20, 2021
dear All
what if we create an erasure code pool, for example I have 10 hosts and I create EC-Profile = k=8m=2 but then later I increase the hosts to 14 hosts, can I edit the EC-profile to k=10m=4,
or is there Another better way to make it more flexible ?

k+m calculation is the number of OSDs or the number of hosts if I choose domain failure = host? Or is there an easier way to determine it, I don't really understand how to determine the right one

For example, I have 10 nodes and each node has 5 drives, and the drive capacity is 3.8TB, how do I determine the right one if I want to have a lot of capacity but still be safe?

Last edited:
OK, thanks... and what percentage does this get for storage?

and can the default configuration k=2m=1 be used if domain failure = host, with 10 nodes, so that if I add more nodes the configuration is still feasible

Last edited:
k=2 m=1 is not recommended as there is no redundancy left when losing one failure zone.

You can compute the relative usage with the formula (k+m)/k.
With k=6 and m=2 you need 133GB storage space for 100GB of data.

Or the other way around: k/(k+m) means with 100GB storage space you get 75GB for data.

Keep in mind that Ceph fills the OSDs only to about 85% before issuing the first warning, so subtract another 15% from the total storage capacity.

Reactions: herzkerl
With n being the number of nodes:

n = k + m means as soon as one node is down Ceph does not have any other location to place the data.
n = k + m + 2 gives you enough time in the event of one of the nodes goes down. And it also means that not every node has to participate in every write operation or when recovering data.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!