Proxmox & Ceph, auditing disks?

holr

Jan 4, 2019
Hello,
I am trying to identify, "rogue" or not attached disks in our ceph/proxmox cluster.

I run a few auditing type functions on our Ceph storage to find out which VMs are using the most space (as in used, not preallocated), and removing them.

I find that:
#rbd -p <pool name> du --merge-snapshots
seems to identify which disks are using the most space ("real" usage, not "preallocated" usage).

Usually, I'd look at the VMID in the disk name and find the associated VM that way. But for a few disks, I noticed they did not have a VM in the pool, suggesting a prior erase process went awry.

Is there a good way to audit the disks stored in a ceph pool to see if they're NOT associated ( attached, and "unused") with any VMs? We have about 1000 VMs in our cluster and I'd rather not check each by hand!

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!