Proxmox Bridge

Ma907xb

Dec 26, 2018
USA
Hello,

Trying to get access to my VM through SSH from my local computer on the same network. My local computer can ping the VM but the VM cannot ping my local computer.

I'm very new to this, but have been trying to learn.

I see vmbr0 in the network GUI on my node.

should the correct configuration for /etc/network/interfaces/ be the following

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface ens18 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.129
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge_ports ens18
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Once i save this configuraiton I need to restart my host and then my VM should be able to connect to local area network?

Do i need to change any configuration on proxmox? Adding the vmbr0 through the GUI as a linux bridge is adequate?

I see my network device in the thumbnail is eno1 but for some reason the VM came default as ens18. I need to change my device name in linux or change the name of the network device on the GUI, correct?

Attachments

• gateway.JPG
    gateway.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 14
ens18 is the name of interface inside the vm. (because proxmox add the interface on pci slot 18).

but you don't need to add it in bridge vmbr0 in /etc/network/interfaces, proxmox is doing it for you when vm start. (without changing /etc/networking/interfaces).

in your /etc/network/interfaces, you only need to do the physical setup. (so vmbr0 with bridge-ports eno1)

ens18 is the name of interface inside the vm. (because proxmox add the interface on pci slot 18).

but you don't need to add it in bridge vmbr0 in /etc/network/interfaces, proxmox is doing it for you when vm start. (without changing /etc/networking/interfaces).

in your /etc/network/interfaces, you only need to do the physical setup. (so vmbr0 with bridge-ports eno1)

I dont need to add the bridge with netwoker manager, etc. I only need to update my interface file with the below? I do not have a eno1 device. The only device is ens18. I need to add a network device to my VM?

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.129
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge_ports ens18
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

you don't need any bridge in your vm.

you simply need to add an interface in your vm, and setup ip configuration in your vm.

(on proxmox side, the ip address on vmbr0 is the proxmox ip management)

I'm not really understanding the answer here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!