Proxmox Bridge - Cisco switch

Nomadsoul009

Aug 10, 2022
Hello,

Just beginning with proxmox, freshly installed the 7.2 version on two servers set the following IP :

server1 : 192.168.100.1 and GW : 192.168.100.254
server2 : 192.169.100.2 and GW : 192.168.100.254

Both server are connected to an old Cisco switch, configured with a L3 vlan interface who is supposed to be the gateway (192.168.100.254) i have created a vlan L2 to use it in the interface going to the server.

Configured in access mode the interface going to the proxmox server but I am unable to ping them, changed the configuration to trunk but same result i am unable to ping my servers.

In both servers i have my physical network interface as a member of the VMBR0 (bridge interface) who is not vlan aware, from my understanding configuring the interface in access mode should be enough to allow both server to communicate passing through the switch.

Do I need to have the VMBR vlan aware and change the interface configuration in the switch to trunk to make it work ?

Thank you for your help.

Post your /etc/network/interfaces from at least one of the pve nodes. What vlan are putting the Proxmox nodes in?

Thank you for the reply, didn't change the basic configuration so it look like this :

#
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.100.1/24
gateway 192.168.100.254
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#

What vlan number do you want to use for the 192.168.100.0/24 subnet on Cisco?

With that proxmox /interfaces config connecting to a Cisco access port should work if that port is using the correct vlan number on the switch. Using a Cisco Trunk port would also work if its native vlan is the appropriate number on the switch.

If you can't get that to work then you can also try tagging the Proxmox outgoing traffic with the appropriate vlan number and using a Cisco trunk port which should accept that tagged traffic (obviously as long as set up the same vlan number on both). That would require a little diff /etc/network/interfaces setup. Example using vlan5.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_vlan_802_1q
see: Example: Use VLAN 5 for the Proxmox VE management IP with VLAN aware Linux bridge.

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0.5
iface vmbr0.5 inet static
address 192.168.100.1/24
gateway 192.168.100.254

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

Last edited:
What vlan number do you want to use for the 192.168.100.0/24 subnet on Cisco?

With that proxmox /interfaces config connecting to a Cisco access port should work if that port is using the correct vlan number on the switch. Using a Cisco Trunk port would also work if its native vlan is the appropriate number on the switch.
I use vlan 99 , got the correct configuraiton on the switch very basic but it dont work.

I will test with the tag and turnk port in the switch and tell you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!