[SOLVED] Proxmox boots to initramfs. Cannot exit or mount rpool. Kernel Panic on exit.

Striploin

Jul 15, 2020
Hello all,

Usually I can Google myself out of the issues I face, but I am truely at my wits end after a week of constant uninstalling and reinstalling.

Basically, I cannot boot my clean install of proxmox without being interrupted at initramfs. I am unable to mount the pool or simply "exit" and update the grub cfg to delay the mounting of the pool.

I'll start from the beginning.

1. I wrote zeros to the entirety of each of my 2x SSDs. Next, I booted to the proxmox-ve_6.2-1.iso and installed without errors [ZFS Raid 0 with an HBA].
  2. After rebooting my R620; I am greeted with the known issue of ZFS being invoked to soon. Following the steps on the wiki;
  3. I mount the ZFS pool with zpool import -R /rpool -N rpool
  4. Confirming that the pool is mounted with zpool list
  5. exit to exit out of busybox
  6. Annotation 2020-07-14 212118.jpg
  7. Not quiet sure what the meaning of that is, considering that the pool is mounted?
  8. exit again causes another freakout
  9. 1594776410515.png
  10. exit Finally kernel panic!
  11. 1594776438442.png

Troubleshooting Information

cat /proc/cmdline
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\5.4.34-1-pve\initrd.img-5.4.34-1-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs
zpool list
Annotation 2020-07-14 212341.jpg
zpool status
Annotation 2020-07-14 212545.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-14 212118.jpg
    Annotation 2020-07-14 212118.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 23
I had this same issue and the mounting instructions work, but I have to do this every time the machine boots. Is there a way to make the change permanent?

For background, I installed PVE 6.3-2 from scratch with two physical drives in a ZFS mirror.

I had this same issue and the mounting instructions work, but I have to do this every time the machine boots. Is there a way to make the change permanent?

For background, I installed PVE 6.3-2 from scratch with two physical drives in a ZFS mirror.
Did you ever figure out a solution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!