Hi,

here is my Setup:

Hardware Firewall (Opnsense):
  • 3 WAN Interfaces with Public IPs and Upstream Gateways
  • LAN Interface; Network: 10.0.0.0/16; IP: 10.0.0.10
  • DMZ Interface; 192.168.0.0/16; IP: 192.168.0.10
  • 2 Virtual OpenVPN Interfaces;
Proxmox Server:
I have two NICs, each of them is wired to the Hardware Firewall.
  • eno1: Connected to LAN Interface from the FW
  • eno2: Connected to DMZ Interface from the FW
  • vmbr0: Bridge connected to eno1; IP: 10.0.0.3; GW: 10.0.0.10 (LAN Interface of the FW act as a Gateway)
  • vmbr1: Bridge connected to eno2; IP: 192.168.0.3; no GW, because it is only possible to have one Gateway

Problem:
The VMs and LXCs are able to reach the Internet, and are also accessible from the Clients. But I can't ping my Firewall (10.0.0.10), neither from the Proxmox Host or the VMs. But I can ping from my Gateway back to the Proxmox Host. I investigated this problem with traceroute, and here is what i noticed:

Traceroute from Proxmox Host to Firewall:
traceroute 10.0.0.10:
1: 10ms 13ms 12ms (firewall.domain.com) 10.0.0.10
2: 45ms 23ms 32ms <Public IP, of WAN Interface>
3: * * *
4 * * *

I tried it with different Interfaces, but no success. When i am connected via VPN, i am able to ping the Firewall. I am also able to access the Vms and LXs but not the Proxmox host.

The ICMP packet looked like this:
SOURCE: <public IP>
DESTINATION: 10.0.0.10

I don't understand why my Firwall assign an internal packet with an public IP and routing it outside?
Normally it should look like this: Soure: 10.0.0.3 destination 10.0.0.10

does anyone have any idea what I did wrong? Thank you!

Hmm... strange. So, NAT is configured but still routing externally? Your traceroute should end with one hop, isn't it correct?
What about the Proxmox node itself? Does it have any firewall setup?

The strange thing is, that an internal Packet got assigned the public ip as destination IP...
Theoretically traceroute should end after one hop.
1. x ms x ms x ms <IP of firewall>

Proxmox Firewall is configured. But i think this has nothing todo with the routing problem. ICMP is on each layer allowed.
Today I have completely rebuilt my setup in a virtual environment and behold, everything works.

Here is my Routing Table on Firewall:
see attachments

Attachments

• routing_table.PNG
    routing_table.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 28
Hi,

a missing firewall rule caused this problem. If you have configured Multi WAN, all traffic gets routed via the WAN Interfaces.
You have to set a rule for the internal traffic to use the internal/default gateway.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!