Proxmox Backup Server Off-Site Backups

Voyaller

Nov 15, 2020
Hello,

What's the best practice for having PBS offsite backups?

I have two locations with an L2L between them on a 100/10 Mbps link.

Should i install PBS on the remote site and mount it in my PVE cluster?

Last edited:
Setting up a PBS server on both locations, create a dedicated namespace for each location, or each PVE cluster, (not different datastores so you get a good deduplication ratio) on both PBS servers and then create a sync task on both PBS server so the PBSs could backup each other? So namespace A + namespace B on both PBS and then let PBS A pull the namespace B and PBS B pull the namespace A? That way on both sites the PVE cluster could backup to the local PBS (for fast backups/restores) but you still got a copy of everything on the remote site.
Then you could add both PBS server as a storage to your PVE clusters. And I would set the privileges of the remote PBS so that it is only allowed to restore but not to backup or prune. That way on both sites you could only backup to the local PBS but restore from the local or remote PBS. That way you get some ransomware/user error protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remarkable-Guille

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!