Proxmox Backup Server Disk Expantion

yetisbey

Apr 7, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I have already a PBS (proxmox backup server) and I want to expand the disk, because there isn't enough storage on the VM.

The problem is I expanded the disk +50GB on PVE but it doesn't expand on the VM itself and I can't figure it out why.

I'm attaching photos to make it understandable what I mean.

I've already tried everything on this page but as I said I can't understand why it is not expanding.

If someone can help I will be glad!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
OZ

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    39.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
The problem is I expanded the disk +50GB on PVE but it doesn't expand on the VM itself and I can't figure it out why.
A hypervisor can only expand the virtual disk. It won't touch the contents of that virtual disks. You will have to extend partitions, filesystems and so on from within the VM to make use of that additional capacity.
Looks like you are working with LVM. So you would also need to extend PVs/VGs/LVs too.

A hypervisor can only expand the virtual disk. It won't touch the contents of that virtual disks. You will have to extend partitions, filesystems and so on from within the VM to make use of that additional capacity.
Looks like you are working with LVM. So you would also need to extend PVs/VGs/LVs too.
Hi,
Thank you for your answer. I already tried to expand disk on VM.
Can you please explain what do you mean by "So you would also need to extend PVs/VGs/LVs too." I couldn't understand this.

Regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!