[SOLVED] Proxmox Backup Server and PVE Migration Network

Mar 11, 2019
Canada
www.weehooey.com
Would the Proxmox Backup Server (PBS) work on the migration (backup) network if that is configured for the PVE cluster?

Rather than use the main network connection for the cluster nodes, we would like to offload the backup traffic.
  • Would we add a second interface and put it on the PVE migration network?
  • Would it be a better choice to change the primary IP address on the PBS to being on the migration network?
The goal is to move the backup traffic off of the main PVE network.

Thanks

Configure a network adapter on your PVE nodes that are on the same subnet as your PBS, then the backups will automatically (logically) use this route for backup traffic.
If the PBS is on the same subnet as your other PVE network, like the management network for example, things get more difficult, though. (see post below)

Or if you really want to share the migration network with the backup traffic, just make sure your PBS is also member of the migration subnet.

Last edited:
Reactions: weehooey-bh
Forgot to say: This is not required, in that case you can just add another network interface on your PBS and use that IP on PVE for backups.
Thanks for the info.

Makes sense that would be the approach.

Have you implemented this or something similar?

Have you implemented this or something similar?
Yes. I have 2 network adapters on my PBS configured.
One for Management Access which provides the default gateway and a second adapter which is used for the backup traffic itself. The second IP is the one I use as backup target in PVE and several proxmox-backup-client scripts.

Reactions: weehooey-bh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!