Proxmox Backup Server and Client

thats amazing stuff!

can we expect it with 6.2 - which probably will come out some time soon? summer?

ps: it would be nice to have the possibility to boot/restore vm from backup image (snapshot?) and then live move disk from backup to normal storage
complete vm recovery within minutes :)

can we expect it with 6.2 - which probably will come out some time soon? summer?

It is not production ready ...

ps: it would be nice to have the possibility to boot/restore vm from backup image (snapshot?) and then ...

Sure, that should be possible to implement.

Hello, I just stumbled across a mention of this as well and this looks like great news.
One question I have: Will the credential management allow for granular rights management of backup clients? I.e. what I'm most interested in is the ability to restrict some backup clients to only being able to create new backups, so that if they and their stored backup credentials are compromised, they still shouldn't be able to affect any already backed up data present on the server. For pruning and GC'ing of backups I'd then only use a specially trusted client, e.g. one running on the backup server itself.

Will the credential management allow for granular rights management of backup clients? I.e. what I'm most interested in is the ability to restrict some backup clients to only being able to create new backups, so that if they and their stored backup credentials are compromised, they still shouldn't be able to affect any already backed up data present on the server. For pruning and GC'ing of backups I'd then only use a specially trusted client, e.g. one running on the backup server itself.

yes

When you say "The server side is standalone, but client side is fully integrated", does this mean the server cannot be installed on a Proxmox node? (I mean natively, alongside Proxmox and not in a VM or CT).

EDIT: I see that it can, but it is not recommended.

Anyway, this is very exciting and I'm very pleased to know this project is being worked on. I think integrated file-based backups with deduplication and incremental backup support are a vital thing for Proxmox to have, so I could not be more pleased to know that it is in the works.

Does the backup solution only aim for virtual machine/ container related stuff or also for other data on your ZFS?

well this is the missing feature I'm awaiting before to migrate from Vware/Nakivo to proxmox.

I'am testing proxmox with a cluster of 3 hosts, but existing full pve backup is taking hours in my case where it takes a couple of minutes in incremential , even for VM replication using Nakivo.

And I did not found simple and efficient solutions on the web outside very expensive commercial ones.

So thanks for this news, hope it will not take months !

I Saw the Proxmox backup server git repo about a year ago for the first time. Yesterday i brought it up in a converstion and go curious again as to how far along it is. So i went and cloned the Repo. Getting it to compile was a real pain as i have never used rust before (i mainly use C# & Go at work) and i had no clue about what dependency's were needed. So after hours of fiddling around with debcargo and the custom debian cargo index i finally figured out that i can disable the .cargo/config file and use make install to install it to the local machine using the carte.io cargo index. At this point i had it running but it would crash on each request as the /etc/proxmox-backup/users.cfg file was missing and it coudent generate a new one. Adding a single line to the source code fixed that tho (that took a few hours to figure out). Now i had it running. The webinterface woudent come up but the api was working with the proxmox-backup-manager tool. So i played around and found out that the current proxmox version can actually already connect to the PBS. Backups also already work although you cant restore them rn. Later i figured out that i need to install the proxmox-widget-toolkit repo to get the Webinterface working.

I personally think that the fact that any host that can run the proxmox-backup-client or talk to the API can make backups is the best thing about the PBS. When the PBS gets released im going to setup a dedicated one at home and use that to save backups of my proxmox server, PC, Laptop(s) and Phone (i really hope it wont be too difficult to get the client to work on android). For now im gonna play around with it.

If Anybody want to know how to setup the PBS easily then message me. I also have a working version of the documentation (its a good read).

@dietmar If your looking for early testers then please let me know! For now i'm just gonna play round with it, see how it all works and learn a bit of rust in the process.

I litlerly cant wait for this to be released!

Last edited by a moderator:
@dietmar If your looking for early testers then please let me know! For now i'm just gonna play round with it, see how it all works and learn a bit of rust in the process.

We still need some time to make the product ready for beta testing...

We still need some time to make the product ready for beta testing...
Yes i have to agree that it isen't ready beta testing. This is a big project especially when looking at the code. I really don't like files with 2500 lines like bin/proxmox-backup-client.rs which i tried to go through in an attempt to understand how the API works and maybe even write a own client for windows As windows support would mean that i could backup everything at work and at home to a PBS and not be forced to use multiple solutions for backups.

Is a Windows client planned to be a thing in the future?
The Sync jobs. Are they between multiple PBS instances? That would be Awesome.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!