proxmox backup in a vm

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
are performance impacted a lot if we setup proxmox backup in a vm? I'm thinking to extend the use of the backup server and be able to launch different vms on it. The vm of the backup server would be mounted on a zvol . Thoughts?

As usual: it depends.
Personally I prefer to put the PBS outside of the cluster: you may want to be able to use the backup system if the cluster is down! That said: my Homelab runs PBS both parallel on PVE and another instance in a Container on PVE (and somewhere else).
In my recognition the storage is more important. You need relatively high IOPS or your will get problems with timeouts because just reading the directory of chunks takes too long. (There may be millions of them!) A Raid6 on rotating rust is just a bad idea. Been there; done that. The official recommendation is to use SSD!

Good luck!

hrm so i was thinking to a RAID 1+0 but so far having SSD would be kind of expensive ... Or i should find something not HP :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!