Proxmox Backup Failure

Luca Malaspina

Apr 27, 2017
Hi All,

I am experiencing an issue but I am not 100% sure on what to do with it.

It has been mentioned in old posts but I just need to clarify something to feel safe about carrying it out.

Recently, one of our Proxmox server's front end crashed along with just one virtual machine. This was resolved by restarting the PVE-PROXY service and shutting down / powering on the VM.

All looked good at that point, but we've notices since the that the backup for this one VM is not running.

Here is the output of the backup:

INFO: Starting Backup of VM 10212 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox2/qemu-server/10212.conf.tmp.219023' - Device or resource busy
INFO: update VM 10212: -lock backup
ERROR: Backup of VM 10212 failed - command 'qm set 10212 --lock backup' failed: exit code 2
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

I have read multiple forums and posts to find that 'qm unlock [VMID] normally resolves this but in my instance I get the following result:

unable to open file '/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox2/qemu-server/10212.conf.tmp.361277' - Device or resource busy

A way round this seems to be to run the following commands:

/etc/init.d/pve-cluster stop
/etc/init.d/pve-cluster start

I am concerned about doing this because I can't seem to find anywhere that reassures me that this is safe to do during production hours and will not cause any server interruption of the VMs I am hosting on it.

Is this command something I can just run at any time?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thankyou

Luca

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!