Proxmox backup client & incremental backup

m3a2r1

Feb 23, 2020
I would like backup linux host with proxmox-backup-client , is it possible? I've tried it and did 2 backups, the second one passed only 8 minutes less than the first (and it was only because I've deleted something).

I understand that it doesn't use network load when files are not changed but it takes a lot of time. Will it be changed to fast incremental backup in the future?

we have no concrete plans on how we could do that... most backup systems (e.g. rsync) use metadata of a file (size + modification time) to reuse data, but with our current architecture that is not possible
(chunks have no direct relation to files; see the link i posted), and even if we could, that could always lead to wrong data backed up... also, there is no feature to track only changed files reliably for file systems..

Hi,
so I think that proxmox-backup-client is not suitable for disk with many files and bigger capacity over TBs ? Because incremental backup is running for hours, rsync make incremental in minutes. But PBS is great for backup of VMs

You could do a full backup every week or month using proxmox-backup-client, and combine it with a rsync proces that creates a separate folder with a copy of "changed files in the last X days", and made then also a backup of that using proxmox-backup-client.
So you will have 2 backups and select the most apropiate.
Then you can prune or delete differential (rsync created) copies, when a new full backup is done.

You can use something like that, to create a folder with a copy of files modified in the last day, that then you will backup much faster:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/173958/find-files-newer-than-a-day-and-copy

export DAYS=1
export BASE_DIR=/mnt/data (sample, folder with lot of files and TBs that I full copied previously, and I want to copy incrementally)
export DATE_DIR=PBS_$(date "+%Y-%m-%d")
mkdir -p "$BASE_DIR/$DATE_DIR" (new folder that will contain only a copy of new files)
cd $BASE_DIR
find . -type f -mtime -$DAYS -not \( -path ./$DATE_DIR\* -prune \) -exec rsync --relative {} $BASE_DIR/$DATE_DIR \;
proxmox-backup-client backup sample.pxar:$BASE_DIR/$DATE_DIR --backup-id 'sample-incremental-1day'

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!