proxmox-backup-client: failed to read xattrs: ENOENT: No such file or directory

muff10

Sep 11, 2021
Proxmox-backup-client crash/stop when trying to backup folder with strange characters.

Error: error at <filepath-filename> failed to read xattrs: ENOENT: No such file or directory.

Backup job should skip file/folder and continue with backup and report errors at end.

# proxmox-backup-client version
client version: 1.1.13

Hi,
what is the underlying filesystem? Could you share an example of such a file name and the output of getfattr -d -m ".*" <filename>?

Hi!

The files is locateded on a Samba/Cifs share mounted on Debian server. I think I have fixed all the filenames so not able to check with your command. Running getfattr on file which I have removed strange character gives no output. All the files had a small square instead of a hyphen in the filename. I am currently running a backup job now, so I will let you know if I find more files with strange characters in filename. (Since proxmox-backup-client crash, I am only able to locate one file with problems each run)

It would be nice if proxmox-backup-client skipped files which is not readable for some reason and continued to run, instead of crashing/exiting.

I also get error on a folder with no read permissions and no owner on Windows server.
failed to read xattrs: EACCES: Permission denied

proxmox-backup-client crash/exit after this error.

Hi!

The files is locateded on a Samba/Cifs share mounted on Debian server. I think I have fixed all the filenames so not able to check with your command. Running getfattr on file which I have removed strange character gives no output. All the files had a small square instead of a hyphen in the filename. I am currently running a backup job now, so I will let you know if I find more files with strange characters in filename. (Since proxmox-backup-client crash, I am only able to locate one file with problems each run)
You could try mounting your CIFS share with the iocharset=utf8 option.

I also get error on a folder with no read permissions and no owner on Windows server.
failed to read xattrs: EACCES: Permission denied

proxmox-backup-client crash/exit after this error.
If there is no read permission, than failure is to be expected.

It would be nice if proxmox-backup-client skipped files which is not readable for some reason and continued to run, instead of crashing/exiting.
Please open a feature request on the bug tracker and include a link to the forum thread.

IMHO, if we were to implement that, than only via a flag to opt-in to the behavior. Warnings are easily missed and if a backup doesn't include some files, people would be very surprised afterwards. For pxar (the archiver for PBS), there already is a --no-xattrs flag. Not directly what you want, but it would be a workaround.

You could try mounting your CIFS share with the iocharset=utf8 option.
Share is already mounted with iocharset=utf8, so this has no effect.
If there is no read permission, than failure is to be expected.

Please open a feature request on the bug tracker and include a link to the forum thread.

IMHO, if we were to implement that, than only via a flag to opt-in to the behavior. Warnings are easily missed and if a backup doesn't include some files, people would be very surprised afterwards. For pxar (the archiver for PBS), there already is a --no-xattrs flag. Not directly what you want, but it would be a workaround.
I will open a ticket regarding this issue.

I would be even more surprised that if there is no backup at all, so I think a warning sent to an email would be better. Not sure, but I dont think mail reports is possible without writing a custom script.

I have the same situation with OmniOs as the underlying samba platform, working with a debian 11 cifs mount.
Anyone come across a work around yet? None of the above seem to work.

FWIW, I was attempting to backup a Windows share and had the "failed to read xattr" error message. Had to use use "nouser_xattr" in the CIFS mount command to get mine to work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!