[SOLVED] Proxmox-backup-client and API key?

devilkin

May 11, 2020
Hi,

I was wondering, and I can't find it in the documentation - can I somehow store the api key on a client and make proxmox-backup-client use that, instead of specifying the user with user@pbs@server:store ?

Reactions: devilkin
@oguz It's very unclear unclear how to use it in command line. So how do I upload single file using proxmox-backup-client and api key? Any example appreciated.

@dcsapak unclear is the cli format. For example wallets-gpg.pxar must not include second dot. wallets.gpg.pxar wont work, no helpful message is shown. Having two @ in repository name is confusing too. Having params as --api-key and --api-secret would not hurt anybody.

Code:
export PBS_REPOSITORY="user@pbs!upload-backups@your.domain.cz:storagename"
export PBS_PASSWORD="?????-????-?????-?????"

proxmox-backup-client backup wallets-gpg.pxar:/root/wallets-backup

For example wallets-gpg.pxar must not include second dot. wallets.gpg.pxar wont work, no helpful message is shown
that sound unintentional, would you mind opening a bug report on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com ?

Having two @ in repository name is confusing too.
i mean, thats debatable, but this isn't going away. even if we would change it, we'd have to keep it for backwards compatibility

Having params as --api-key and --api-secret would not hurt anybody.
yes it would, having it as parameter (especially the password/token) it would show up in process listings e.g. when doing 'ps ax' or using 'top' or similar
also if it's then invoked with sudo, in the default configuration the whole command gets logged into the syslog (inkl parameters)

so having a password/token as cli parameter is never a good idea

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!