Code:
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs-client buster main

It iinstalls version:
Code:
apt-cache show proxmox-backup-client | grep 'Package\|Version' | head -n2

Code:
Package: proxmox-backup-client
Version: 1.1.14-1

Trying to use bullseye repos does not work.

Is there a 2.x version available for Buster without backporting manually ?

I need to backup to a namespace, 1.x does not support it.
Thank you,
GV

You can't upgrade your PBS to version 2? Keep in mind that both Debian Buster and PBS 1.X are end-of-life and won't receive any security fixes anymore, resulting in vulnerable hosts.

You can't upgrade your PBS to version 2? Keep in mind that both Debian Buster and PBS 1.X are end-of-life and won't receive any security fixes anymore, resulting in vulnerable hosts.
There is no Debian package for PBS client 2.x for debian buster.
We can't upgrade hosts.

Any further information on this?

The pbs is on the latest version - but I still have a host running buster that I can not upgrade right now.

I would love to backup this host using a namespace and can not get that to work as the --ns parameter is not available on buster...

Lukas

Hey everyone,

I also was pretty surprised that there are only binary builds for Debian bookworm. I didn't expect this and think not providing dependency-free static binary builds is a major weak point for a backup system.

I tried to do a custom build of proxmox-backup-client, but as I lack any rust/cargo knowledge and the build isn't that well coumented and straight forward I gave up pretty early.

But I have found a workaround, which is a bit hacky and may not be 100% suitable for production deployments (e.g. no auto-update via apt). It uses a binary build for Debian bullseye and creates a local Debian bullseye runtime environment on any Linux host:

1. Locate the proxmox-backup-client on a working bullseye installation.
2. Run ldd proxmox-backup-client, you should get a list of libraries (*.so) that are needed for execution.
3. Copy the executable and the correct library files from a working bullseye installation (run the ldd command above, the library linkage paths will help you find the right file) and copy them to the new host along the proxmox-backup-client executable.
4. In the proxmox-backup-client path (I recommend /opt/proxmox-backup-client), run

patchelf --set-rpath '$ORIGIN' proxmox-backup-client patchelf --set-interpreter /opt/proxmox-backup-client/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 proxmox-backup-client

5. You should be able to run proxmox-backup-client and do backups as usual - I haven't tested further functionality, but it should work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!