proxmox automatic security updates

tactic

Aug 5, 2011
Hi,
is there any way to automatically download and install all security updates?

automatic updates makes no sense to me. if you got kernel (security) updates how will you handle reboots automatically?

but we use apt, so you can do it with apt is you ignore all this, see apt and Debian docs.

What about 'unattended-upgrades' in Debian?
This way you can configure to install automatically security (only security, or more) updates but I'd not configure it for automatic reboot on a promox box.

This way it will install all updates automatically and you get a notification via mail what was installed - and in case of a kernel update,
you will only need to reboot. - It won't tell you explicitely but you will you will know what was installed and can decide if you want to reboot.

Don't forget to create a 10periodic file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d additionally to modify 50unattended.

(I had just imagined KSplice uptrack on Proxmox would be a awesome combination, but it's now gone Oracle :-/

KSplice is/was GPL version 2, no? Not sure if the Oracle acquisition changes that, other than their mention that "Source code packages which Ksplice previously made available prior to the acquisition are being migrated to http://oss.oracle.com." I guess whether it will be maintained as oss in some form of GPL longterm is the real question. We have used it on a CentOS system and it works very well. You can easily roll back and forth, (which has it's benefits even for testing and tuning).

It seems KSplice would be a nice fit, and particularly useful. In addition it does support debian kernels, but not sure how their Uptrack would impact proxmox. (See kernel support here http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/supported-kernels )

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!