Proxmox as a backup MX for a different domain

Zanthius

May 18, 2019
Hi all,

Prior to using proxmox, I had my MTA setup as a store/forward backup MX for a friend's mail server, and he is my backup MX too. I can't quite figure out how to do the same with proxmox.

His domain is setup in relay domains, and in Transports, I have his domain setup in relay domain, and as host, I manually put his MX record (mail.domain.com), port 25 and use MX - YES (even though I can't find any documentation on what that does).

But it keeps trying to send mail through to the default relay (my mail server) which is bouncing it for unknown domain.

Any way I can setup proxmox as a backup MX for a non-proxmox secondary server I don't control?

please post the relevant config files - should make it easier to understand your setup

In theory if your friend has domain.com and their server is mx.domain.com you should be fine by:
* adding domain.com to relay domains
* adding in transports: domain: domain.com, host: mx.domain.com, use MX: no, port: 25

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!