Proxmox and Ubuntu 16.04LTS issues - SSH and grub not installing

Marlow

Aug 13, 2016
Ireland
I've tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in Proxmox 3.4 using a VM and failed every time, so far.

My first approach was to use the netboot and tftp boot the installer, installing Ubuntu that way.

It first failed on the installation of the OpenSSH package. The package would fail on the generation of the ECDSA key.

The other thing, was that grub failed to install the grub bootloader. I managed to trick the installation into doing it by doing it manually on the console.

Now .. having said all this: the same netboot tftp installer installs perfectly on phyiscal machines. So that's not, where the dog is burried.

But just to be sure .. to be sure .. I downloaded the most recent 16.04 LTS Server ISO and installed from that ... failed again .. same 2 problems.

The VM is on a single CPU Core2Duo machine, with 2.4 GHz and 6 GB ram. I have allocated 4 GB ram to the VM, 2 cores on 1 socket and 40 GB of disk space. All very adequate, for what I'm doing.

I've tried using IDE and SCSI controller, vmdk and raw formats for the harddrive. Everything resulted in the same problem.

Now .. in the end, I decided try and install 14.04 LTS instead then, as I know for sure, I've installed earlier Ubuntu ISOs without any hassle. 14.04.5 to be precise.

And voila .... that installs without a hitch .. leaving me even more puzzled.

Has anybody come across this ? Is there a solution ? The reason for not using Proxmox 4.2 is, that it has other issues, like a hanging webinterface etc. At least for me. While 3.4 is normally extremely mature.

/M

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!