Proxmox and pfsense build

arseniobrown

Dec 4, 2022
In the hope to start learning how to build and secure my network and also switch careers, I decided to take an old dell precision workstation T610 and install the good ole proxmox.

My goal is to have pfsense running inside of proxmox and have it also over my home network as well. I was successful in being able see traffic from my VMs going through proxmox but no luck for devices outside of proxmox. I am a noob at all of this. do I need to have a physical device to route traffic through pfsense or is it possible to do this . My device has 2 nic cards if that helps

do I need to have a physical device to route traffic through pfsense or is it possible to do this . My device has 2 nic cards if that helps
Depends. If you got no tagged vlan capable managed switch you would need one dedicated physical NIC connected to its own bridge for each subnet your pfsense if routing between.

Depends. If you got no tagged vlan capable managed switch you would need one dedicated physical NIC connected to its own bridge for each subnet your pfsense if routing between.
I have a cisco catalyst 3560 I purchased to start studying my CCNA would that work.

You want to connect from an outside or public IP to the Lan IP of your VM.
In Pfsense
- Firewall / NAT / PortForward
Interface = WAN
Address Fam: IPv4
Protocol: TCP
Destination: Wan Address
Destination port range from: Https to: Https
Redirect target IP: The local address of your VM
Redirect target port: Https
Description: HTTPS traffic into VM#01

Clone this rule and add HTTP, and DNS

for more info pfSense Port Forwarding HOW TO

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!