[SOLVED] Proxmox and OPNsense setup fails

NevadaTech

Nov 29, 2021
What I'm trying to do
* build a small Internet facing Proxmox box
* run OPNsense as virtual guest #1 for firewall/router services
* run virtual guest #2 Remotely behind OPNsense (10.12.99.10/24)
* run virtual guest #3 chat server behind OPNsense (10.12.99.20/24)
* run virtual guest #4 ftp server behind OPNsense (10.12.99.30/24)
* the servers/services can be anything, these are just examples, I understand each server has it's own firewall/routing concerns

My setup
* I have public static IP of 11.22.33.218/28 with a gateway of 11.22.33.209
* the server has an HP NC365T quad network card and a mobo built-in Realtek nic
* Proxmox is v8.1.4

My plan
* vmbr0 = NC365T port 0, enp6s0f0, infrastructure LAN, no Internet access needed (10.12.77.5/24)
* vmbr1 = NC365T port 1, enp6s0f1, unused
* vmbr2 = NC365T port 2, enp6s0f2, LAN, where all of the servers/services will live, vmbr2 assigned IP range (10.12.99.0/24) to port (enp6s0f2)
* vmbr3 = NC365T port 3, enp6s0f3, WAN, vmbr3 assigned to the port only (enp6s0f3), no IP address assigned via Proxmox
* OPNsense has (2) nics assigned
- vmbr2 used for LAN, inside OPNsense as vtnet1 as 10.12.99.1
- vmbr3 used for WAN, inside OPNsense as vtnet0 with 11.22.33.218/28

The problem is I can't get out to the Internet through OPNsense. Some things I've tried
* changing NIC port 3 (WAN) to PCI device, it locks up Proxmox
* using the built-in NIC to PCI device, it locks up Promox > am I missing something here?
* enabling and disabling the TCP hardware offloading
* allowing private IP segments to pass
* assigning public static IP to vmbr3, that should fail because I'm assigning an IP to the physical and again to the virtual OPNsense vtnet0
* I've seen some references to masquerading and iptables, I don't think they apply to my setup, correct?

Lastly, I'm not committed to this setup. If my basic plan is wrong please say so with a better design.

Last edited:
Also, I know Proxmox has some firewall capabilities. I'm choosing OPNsense because I am more familiar with it. And I'd like to build a VPN to the LAN segment from outside.

Last edited:
More variations for the answer...

* does anyone see anything wrong with the plan
* do you have OPNsense/pfSense running in a similar fashion, if so, what is your layout

* allowing private IP segments to pass
So this setting is wrong. Some of the other post/setups that referred to this were router behind router (double NAT) setups. If your WAN DHCP gives you a 192.168.x.x or 172.(16-32?).x.x or 10.x.x.x address then you do need it. Most cases don't.

While poking around last night I noticed this
* I still couldn't ping my ISP gateway
* when I looked at the streaming firewall logs there was a bunch of traffic hitting the router, the traffic was a mix of private and public IP; that was a big help, it kinda said the basic plan/setup was correct

I have several private IPs from Cox. My cablemodem feeds a switch that feeds a couple different routers. I think at some point the cablemodem tied the 11.22.33.218 IP to a specific interface on Proxmox. All of my moving and testing was for nil since the cablemodem said only this interface (MAC address) is allowed to this IP.

FIX: reboot the cablemodem; OPNsense picked up the 11.22.33.218 IP and I could ping the ISP gateway; so essentially the fix was an IT Crowd solution (try turning it off and back on again, you're welcome); sigh

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!