[SOLVED] Proxmox and Old ProLiant Server

KatiaSishost

Jun 22, 2020
Hello... i thinking to install proxmox in a old ProLiant servers...

i have 2 Servers..

1_ DL380-Gen5 16Gb RAM - 1 CPU Xeon + 2SAS 146Gb and + 4 SATA 500Gb HD
2_ DL360-Gen5 2Gb RAM - 1 CPU Xeon + 2 HD SATA 2Tb

What is the latest version compatible with this servers? i try to install yesterday the 6.2 and it stuck in

"proxmox could not insert intel_rng"

Any can help me with the latest version compatible... or how to make work the latest version?

Im try to install a lab server.

Did you try both servers? How did you try to install (DVD, USB-Stick, iLO)? The 2 GB-RAM Version is very low. Those servers can work with 64 GB-RAM (if equipped with two CPUs).

Im trying to install in a DL380... with USB-Stick maked with Rufus.

My idea is... install the proxmox in DL380... to VM...

In DL360 for cluster of Storage... maybe after add more RAM

Proxmox 6.2 is working "fine" on DL380G5 with at least 4G of RAM, as long as you don't expect any performance and it's just for fun and testing/learning.
2G was too low (at least when also using ZFS), the VM began do get OOM killed (because I didn't setup swap).

Reactions: guletz
Good! yes... it's just for home lab...

ERRORS:
some errors "ACPI DEVICE"

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'intel_rng': no such device

Solution:

Disabling "MPS Table Mode" in the BIOS

<3

Last edited:
The problem with this solution is that you stop having multiprocessing, that is, if you had a computer with two processors, Proxmox will only see one. It is not a good solution. I am studying to install Debian 10 and on it, Proxmox 6.x, but I don't know if it will work well.
Any ideas?.

Hello
can you provide me some clue about when this issue with old proliant arose for the firs time?
itàs enough to come back to PVE 5 or should I install PVE 4 to be safe?
which release?

Hello
can you provide me some clue about when this issue with old proliant arose for the firs time?
itàs enough to come back to PVE 5 or should I install PVE 4 to be safe?
which release?
first, you should define what "old" proliant means (model - generation, memory, hdds/raid) and what is your purpose (fun/testlab vs. some production)
only pve6 is supported, pve5 is old (maybe for fun & testlab) & unmaintained, pve4 is too old to talk about it

so did you get it to work ?
I can install proxmox if i turn off MPS Table Mode but when tha install is done i enable it but then proxmox wont start again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!