Proxmox and KVM? same thing?

ericmachine

Aug 16, 2012
Hi everyone,

Sorry i have a noob question. Is KVM same thing with Proxmox?

I can't find much comparisons online between KVM vs Proxmox, unlike KVM vs Xen?

I am planning to install KVM as they claimed it's faster than Xen. But I read about Proxmox and it seems related to KVM, which confused me.

Anyone from this community? Thanks.

Proxmox not only supplies KVM functionality (and cluster, GUI functionality etc) but it also supplies OpenVZ (containers) functionality. So you can have "hardcore" hardware virtualisation or lightweight containers, depending on your needs, on the same server.

>> so can i use kvm images to proxmox?
I think it should be possible. what is the format ?

>>actually is proxmox really stable? But when I shared to vmware folks they lol. hmm... can proxmox even compete with vmware esxi?
I'm running 500kvm on a 8 host cluster, and It's very stable.
I can handle 50000iops with virtio-win drivers.

About compete, maybe they are some missing features, like live storage migration. (comming in kvm 1.2)
Big missing feature of proxmox for the moment is template/base image deploy copy/cloning for kvm. So you need to copy image manually.
I would like to work on it for the months.

>> so can i use kvm images to proxmox?
I think it should be possible. what is the format ?

>>actually is proxmox really stable? But when I shared to vmware folks they lol. hmm... can proxmox even compete with vmware esxi?
I'm running 500kvm on a 8 host cluster, and It's very stable.
I can handle 50000iops with virtio-win drivers.

About compete, maybe they are some missing features, like live storage migration. (comming in kvm 1.2)
Big missing feature of proxmox for the moment is template/base image deploy copy/cloning for kvm. So you need to copy image manually.

sigh, my sonicwall blocks me for downloading zentyal zip file, sorry not sure what's the file format, will check with my network guys and check out the format.

actually i am thinking to install openstack and they recommend i use kvm as the hypervisor. Can i install openstack on top of proxmox? Hmm?

A couple of things, I converted from Ubuntu/kvm last year and yes it is straight forward to make the switch. I used lvm disk images so it was easy as stopping the machine and doing a dd to export the raw data off of the lvm device to backup. Install proxmox and configure the new vm setup so that it creates the lvm disks again. Lastly just dd the backup image back on to the system. Second thing, if you are looking into Zentyal, check out the Zentyal forums and do a search on proxmox or openvz. Someone posted a working formula for installing Zentyal on a container. I use Zentyal both at home and work. I like it.

Hi Experts,

About template/base image deploy copy and cloning for KVM, can the latest Proxmox copy image automatically?

Hi Experts,

About template/base image deploy copy and cloning for KVM, can the latest Proxmox copy image automatically?

not yet, it's planned for next proxmox release ( 3.0 )

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!