Proxmox acting up... cant login via web, cant reach services...

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
Hello all!
My current main Proxmox server has been running for well over a year now, all VMs and LXC just chugging along, so much so that I felt like hey lets go on vacation!
2 days in one of my Nextcloud users messaged me asking - what is up with Nextcloud. Bewildered and with no access to the home environment, I calmed myself with one thing is nothing...
The day after the next Nexcloud user messaged me... now there has to be something, I try to reach Nextcloud... strange error that the sys admin has to be contacted... me...
Tries a few other services all gives an error. Tried to forgot this and have my vacation...
Now home.
For some reason I am not able to login to the web ui, I have even tried to change the password. The VMs are up and running but all of them have a read-only fs...

I can ssh into the VMs.. but cannot do anything, I have tried to restart them via cli, that succeeds, only one has come back to life so far. I takes forever to write to the fs.
All write tasks takes forever. Atm it is to late to start digging through the logs... after a 15 hours travel day I am not up to that task.

So I throw it here to see if I have and answers tomorrow when I fit for fight.

After a good nigths sleep I am at it again. For some unknown reason other than time passed, I can now login to the web gui, so it all starts with a win.
This could mean something...
rpool 14M 128K 14M 1% /rpool rpool/data 14M 128K 14M 1% /rpool/data rpool/ROOT 14M 128K 14M 1% /rpool/ROOT rpool/data/subvol-100-disk-0 887M 873M 14M 99% /rpool/data/subvol-100-disk-0 rpool/data/subvol-110-disk-0 431M 418M 14M 97% /rpool/data/subvol-110-disk-0 rpool/data/subvol-101-disk-0 1.7G 1.7G 14M 100% /rpool/data/subvol-101-disk-0
My lxc's has filled their root-disks... that can explain the disk activity, the sluggishness of the system of a whole.
The question now is how do I move the root disk? When I try to use the built in tool I get an time-out error.
I do have backup of all the VMs and LCXs so now I will try an restore of the last known point when it was all working and redirecting the root disk there. No... "Connection error 596: Connection timed out". Bugger.

Last edited:
So it for sure seems like this is the issue.
No space left on device (500)
Now how to fix it... first up I need to stop the LXCs from starting from boot. I get an "Error writing 100.conf: Input/output error" when trying to change that webui or cli.

So now I have deleted all the LXCs and restored them from backup and pointed them to another storage. So far it seems to be working out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!