Proxmox 8 - Intel iGPU HDMI passtrough issue on Windows 11 (error 43)

azsde

Jul 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am having issues making the iGPU be used as a passtrough for my machine.

I have a small computer powered by a N95 processor.

I have followed this guide, so my grub configuration contains:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init video=simplefb:off video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off video=vesa:off disable_vga=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1 modprobe.blacklist=radeon,nouveau,nvidia,nvidiafb,nvidia-gpu,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,i915"

My /etc/modules contains the following:

Code:
# Modules required for PCI passthrough
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

I have attached my iGPU like so:

1699904368378.png

I have installed the intel drivers, but I get an error 43 under the device management.

It is worth noting that with this configuration I can get the HDMI output of my device to work for an Ubuntu VM.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get the iGPU working on windows 11 ?

I thank you in advance for your help !

Azsde.

hello @azsde
I've got the exact same problem.
And for information, when I pug an HDMI screen on the HDMI connector of my NUC (a Greekom Mini IT13, with an Intel i9-13900H and an Iris Xe graphics as iGPU), I've got a black screen.
It should show the windows screen...

@azsde Hi!
I managed to get the driver working inside the windows VM. No more error 43.
But I don't know if it really works, aka if the iGPU was used...
But no screen output when HDMI screen is connected to the NUC.

In order to achieve this, I had to follow this, by creating virtual iGPU : https://www.derekseaman.com/2023/06...u-vt-d-passthrough-with-intel-alder-lake.html
And to modify a file in the drive according to this : https://github.com/strongtz/i915-sriov-dkms/issues/117#issuecomment-1780922086
Read the whole issue ;)

But that was with Proxmox 8.0.

I don't try this with 8.1 because I formatted all the NUC ton install Win11 and do some test with VMWare inside...

I'll try this when I'll install again Promox, maybe the 8.1 ^^

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!