Proxmox 8.2.4 - Copying files between Ubuntu VMs on the same host maxing out at 320k

Drungle

Sep 21, 2024
Hey all,

I'm VERY new to Proxmox. Looking to use to for a small home lab just to play around with various things. I've installed it (8.2.4) and am basically fumbling my way through it. So far, I've managed to get TrueNasCore running and a few Ubuntu VMs.

I'm currently trying to use Ansible to copy over a repo folder to a different vm and it looks like it's running at a max of 320k for the transfer, which seems WAY too slow.

I've tried switching the Network Device type on the source VM between: 'VirtIO', 'RealtekRTL81396', 'Vmware vmxnet3', 'Intel E1000E' with no change in speed. I've tried deselecting the Firewall chekbox on both VM network cards as well but that didn't seem to do anything for the speed. When doing the file transfer, the CPU on the VM jumps to 10% utilization and lines up perfectly with the netout graph and the diskIO graph barely moves.

AnsibleServerNetworkSlowness.jpg

The host CPU chart also lines up with the file copy.
1726882007177.png

Both VMs are on the same bridge (vmbr0)
There is no Rate Limits set on either of the VM Network devices
At the Datacenter level, the Bandwidth Limits is set to None

Interestingly, when I download the repo from GitHub, it's super quick. The slowness seems to only happen when copying between the two vms.

It is running on a very old system, (AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, with 32GB of DDR4 RAM and some old HDDs) but even so, I feel like this system can handle far more than 320k.

I don't see anything in the host System Log that looks related to the network issues.

I'm not sure which configs to post, or where to find them really, but any help you are willing to provide would be amazing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!