Proxmox 8.1.4 - Spice config files no extension

jmx

Jan 13, 2024
Just got spice working fine for a couple of VM's - but when I click console, spice and download the config file there is no extension.

(I can open the extensionless file with: remote-viewer nameofconfig file) in Terminal on my Macbook M1 (Ventura) and the Spice connection works fine) - just looking for a way to get the vv ext so I can use a helper automation to open remote-viewer automatically

thanks

Hi,
what browser are you using? What user agent does it have? There was a fix for Safari a while ago, but that is already included in pve-manager >= 8.0.6: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4947

Do you have the association between the vv extension and remote-viewer set correctly?

Hi - thanks for responding - I was using FFox - with Chrome I get the vv ext, same with Safari (so thats good) - the issue now is when remote-viewer opens the file - I get "cannot determine the connection type from URI:" - will do some more digging

Hi - thanks for responding - I was using FFox - with Chrome I get the vv ext, same with Safari (so thats good) - the issue now is when remote-viewer opens the file - I get "cannot determine the connection type from URI:" - will do some more digging
Hmm, works for me (on Linux). What version of Firefox do you have? For Firefox, the extension shouldn't be needed. It is explicitly not set, because it caused an additional user prompt there. But the MIME type is set to application/x-virt-viewer.

Itx FFox OSX Ventura - V121.0.1 - its working fine now on Chrome - so I'll use that in the mean time - If I find out anything else useful ill respond - thanks again

Last edited:
Just got spice working fine for a couple of VM's - but when I click console, spice and download the config file there is no extension.

(I can open the extensionless file with: remote-viewer nameofconfig file) in Terminal on my Macbook M1 (Ventura) and the Spice connection works fine) - just looking for a way to get the vv ext so I can use a helper automation to open remote-viewer automatically

thanks
Hello,
How did you manage to get Spice working on macOS? I've tried:
jaredwideman/virt-manager/virt-viewer
justinschuldt/virt-manager/virt-viewer
damenly/virt-manager/virt-viewer
jeffreywildman/virt-manager/virt-viewer

But they don't seem to recognize the downloaded file - (

Could you please suggest a working version of the program?
Thank you.

Here - check out this link below - It wasn't easy - I had to do a bunch of fiddling around to get it to work - eventually I found I had several versions of virt-viewer installed - I got rid of all but the one I compiled from home brew and got it to work:

(finally I ended up using Chrome because it would mime download the file with the vv extension - Firefox on osx never could)

in OSX terminal > where remote-viewer (and where virt-viewer)

/opt/homebrew/bin/remote-viewer

(Thats where mine resides) - Its a lot easier to do this in Windows and Linux - both have ready to go installers and with Chrome in Windows or FFox in linux it just opens the vv files fine and launches remote-viewer / virt-viewer no problem - i got the windows installer here - https://www.spice-space.org/download.html and the Linux installer (OpenSUSE / PopOS etc) with their package managers.

On my Mac, I then made a helper in automator (app shortcut) to do this when opening vv and changed all file associations (with that ext) to do same

in my Applications/pre-spice-launcher.app looks like this:

see this - https://gist.github.com/tomdaley92/789688fc68e77477d468f7b9e59af51c

The original info I found for compiling in home brew here - https://github.com/jeffreywildman/homebrew-virt-manager
I got an error about too many open files so did this at terminal and redid the home brew compile:
> fixed with: ulimit -n 10240

brew tap jeffreywildman/homebrew-virt-manager
brew install virt-viewer
virt-viewer --version

Attachments

• spice-automator.png
    spice-automator.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
[resolved] I've managed to get SPICE working for the first time.

What helped me was:
1. Remove everything that was installed:

brew uninstall --force jaredwideman/virt-manager/virt-viewer
brew uninstall --force justinschuldt/virt-manager/virt-viewer
brew uninstall --force damenly/virt-manager/virt-viewer
brew uninstall --force jeffreywildman/virt-manager/virt-viewer
brew uninstall --force virt-viewer
brew tap jeffreywildman/homebrew-virt-manager

2. Enter the command in the console: `ulimit -n 10240`
3. Install with: `brew install jeffreywildman/virt-manager/virt-viewer`

4. Use Google Chrome. Before this, I tried to do it through Firefox, and it downloads a different file. In Firefox, it doesn't work at all.

5. `remote-viewer pve-spice.vv` - and now it works, it can be automated.

Thank you very much!

Reactions: jmx
The same thing with Pop-OS, it just don't work with Firefox, but Chromium is ok. On Arch both work.

Reactions: jmx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!