Proxmox 7 - lxc cgroup issue with docker

kyriazis

Oct 28, 2019
Austin, TX
Upgraded to Proxmox 7, installed has no problems (well, pending issue https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/unknown-video-mode-on-fresh-proxmox-7-install.92623/#post-403828, but that's a different story).

We are running LXC containers with docker and gitlab-runner inside them. I modified the /etc/pve/lxc/*.conf files by renaming the cgroup entries to cgroup2, namely:

Code:
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: a

However, docker run complains:

Bash:
root@vis-ct-hsw-00:~# docker run hello-world
docker: Error response from daemon: cgroups: cgroup mountpoint does not exist: unknown.
ERRO[0000] error waiting for container: context canceled
root@vis-ct-hsw-00:~#

https://www.infoq.com/news/2021/01/docker-engine-cgroups-logging/ Indicates that cgroup2 support in docker is only rolled into docker 20, while ubuntu20.04 is on docker19.03.13.

Proxmox documentation (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pct.html#pct_cgroup_compat) says that one of the options is to switch back to legacy cgroup, but it doesn't describe how. Any documentation on how to do that?

Another question is: Do we expect for docker 20 to roll out to ubuntu before or after cgroupv1 compatibility disappears from Proxmox?

Thank you!

george

Ok, I saw some more docs saying that one should add systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 to the kernel boot params to revert to original cgroup, but if I do this, I cannot even bring my containers up:

Bash:
root@vis-hsw-00:/etc/pve/lxc# pct start 132
explicitly configured lxc.apparmor.profile overrides the following settings: features:mount
cgfsng_setup_limits_legacy: 2764 Bad address - Failed to set "devices.deny" to "a"
cgroup_tree_create: 808 Failed to setup legacy device limits
cgfsng_payload_create: 1171 Numerical result out of range - Failed to create container cgroup
lxc_spawn: 1644 Failed creating cgroups
__lxc_start: 2073 Failed to spawn container "132"
startup for container '132' failed
root@vis-hsw-00:/etc/pve/lxc#

Here is my conf file:

Code:
# more 132.conf
#mp0%3A /mnt/pve/scratch,mp=/scratch
arch: amd64
cores: 48
features: mount=nfs4,keyctl=1
hostname: vis-ct-hsw-00
memory: 57344
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX,ip=dhcp,type=veth
onboot: 0
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-132-disk-0,size=192G
snaptime: 1573010169
swap: 16384
lxc.apparmor.profile: unconfined
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: a
lxc.cap.drop:

Thanks!

George

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!