Proxmox 7.2 / Kernel 5.15 - safe yet for Nvidia VFIO passthrough?

marcosscriven

Mar 6, 2021
I've seen a number of threads now about issues with Nvidia GPU passthrough after upgrading to Proxmox 7.2 and/or kernel 5.15.

There's a few workarounds, with mixed reports about what works, but I'm wondering if it's likely to be fixed properly soon, or whether I should just go ahead and update now.

Passthrough will always have issues as it is not a common thing that manufacturers test for or support. NVidia appears more troublesome than the open-source drivers (this time around). Eventually, you'll need to upgrade for (security) fixes and feature updates. You can test with apt install pve-kernel-5.15 and try various work-arounds (and revert with apt remove pve-kernel-5.15), before doing a apt dist-upgrade (and even then you can boot the 5.13 kernel). Or you can wait and keep an eye on this forum while pve-kernel-5.13 is still being supported.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!