(proxmox 7.1) Physical DVD/CD to Guests

kromberg

Nov 24, 2021
OK, I have been going around in circles with this one and I can not find any good documentation for this. The host proxmox server has two DVD/CD drives installed and show up at /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 as expected. How do I assign /dev/sr1 to a guest? Going through the web gui only allows /dev/sr0 to be assigned.

At least with 7.1-4/ca457116 'use physical CD/DVD' might need some more polishing. When using with for a Linux/Fedora guest, the guest is seeing errors with dd, vlc, mplayer, and tar. Now if the host dumps the CD/DVD to an iso file with dd and then presents that iso to the guest, the guest can read and process the iso correctly. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

At least with 7.1-4/ca457116 'use physical CD/DVD' might need some more polishing. When using with for a Linux/Fedora guest, the guest is seeing errors with dd, vlc, mplayer, and tar. Now if the host dumps the CD/DVD to an iso file with dd and then presents that iso to the guest, the guest can read and process the iso correctly. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
The way it is passed to a guest (by QEMU) does not work with CD audio or DVD or Bluray video, and only for discs with "regular" files on them. There are several threads in this forum over the years about passing through SATA or USB optical drives to watch video's and burn discs in VMs. iSCSI might also be an alternative, but I could not get it to work.
There are Linux tools to easily make a backup of a CD or DVD and create an ISO that indeed work fine with VMs, but may not be allowed in certain jurisdictions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!