Proxmox 6 - low speed on upload

Oct 14, 2017
Hello,

I am new in proxmox, don't have to much experience. I have set up on a Microserver Gen8 on an SSD, proxmox 6.
When I was running speedtest-cli from the host I have very low speed on upload.

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from RCS & RDS (79.113.215.181)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by RCS & RDS (Timisoara) [47.58 km]: 9.967 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 659.36 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 4.01 Mbit/s

In the past I was using the installation on an SD Card and I heaved also more Download, around 800-900. Related to download could it be because I am using not on SSD and not anymore on SD Card?

What I am doing wrong because of the very very slow Upload?

UPDATE: When running speedtest-cli from a KVM I have different result.
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from RCS & RDS (79.113.215.181)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by RCS & RDS (Timisoara) [47.58 km]: 12.356 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 643.65 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed....................................................................................................
Upload: 118.13 Mbit/s
So just the host was issue with upload.

Last edited:
  • Do you have more information with what of kind of connection you are testing this?
  • Have you done more tests at different times?
  • Do you have another computer in the same network?
    • How are they connected? (Ethernet cables or wifi)
    • What speeds do you get between them?

• Do you have more information with what of kind of connection you are testing this?
  • Have you done more tests at different times?
  • Do you have another computer in the same network?
    • How are they connected? (Ethernet cables or wifi)
    • What speeds do you get between them?

I have Gigabit connection from my ISP provider.
Yes, I have done more tests at different times of the day. Same result on upload. Microserver is connected to Ethernet. When I run from my Notebook over the 5Ghz WiFi, I have more then 450Mbps on download and more then 200Mbps on upload.
As mentioned, from KVM it works good, just from host pve is slow on upload.

What speeds to you get between your laptop and the server? You can try to copy a bigger file to your server via SCP.

What speeds to you get between your laptop and the server? You can try to copy a bigger file to your server via SCP.

Can't test right now because I am not at home at this moment, but I don't know how this test will help me.

On proxmox for now I have installed OMV. As mentioned, on VM connection works good. And also the transfer between server and laptop will happen in LAN. Issue is on proxmox and connection to WAN. Upload to WAN from proxmox host and not OMV VM

I was testing with iperf to router, and it's not the best result that I have expected, but still looks good.

Client connecting to 192.168.0.1, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[ 3] local 192.168.0.10 port 54054 connected with 192.168.0.1 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 490 MBytes 410 Mbits/sec

As mentioned, on VM connection works good. And also the transfer between server and laptop will happen in LAN. Issue is on proxmox and connection to WAN. Upload to WAN from proxmox host and not OMV VM

By doing a speedtest the traffic needs to pass from the PVE server through your network, router and to wherever in the internet you are connecting to for the test. That's quite a few parts that can cause the problem. By doing a speedtest within the network from another computer (your laptop) to the server you are reducing the number of possible causes for the problem.

Please copy a bigger file to the Proxmox server and then back to your laptop. If that is also very slow then we can focus on the server. If it is fast the cause must be somewhere else. Maybe there are some old configs in the router rate limiting the server (IP) or who knows what else might cause it.

By doing a speedtest the traffic needs to pass from the PVE server through your network, router and to wherever in the internet you are connecting to for the test. That's quite a few parts that can cause the problem. By doing a speedtest within the network from another computer (your laptop) to the server you are reducing the number of possible causes for the problem.

Please copy a bigger file to the Proxmox server and then back to your laptop. If that is also very slow then we can focus on the server. If it is fast the cause must be somewhere else. Maybe there are some old configs in the router rate limiting the server (IP) or who knows what else might cause it.

I have uploaded and downloaded from my laptop as suggested and the result was good from my point of view. 4.8Gb in around 2 minutes. Average of download and upload was around 30 MB/s. Sometimes also over 50 MB/s. So conclusion is that internal it's working fine.

I have seen also your other post related to speedtest-cli. Thanks for that. It look like this is the issue as my upload is same as described on github.

I started to search for a new router. Good is that I don't need to change it for now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!