Proxmox 6 and Ryzen 3700X (X570)

xvegax

Aug 12, 2019
Hi guys,

I am new to Proxmox as you can see on my other post and I have done a fresh/vanilla installation. The server has a 3700X on a Gigabyte X570 mainboard and 32 GB RAM.

I realised, that I am having a lot of connectivity problems, meaning often I cannot connect to the box without any reason and also often it disconnects me from it, while being in a SSH session. I then have to wait 5 - 20 minutes to be able to connect to it again, but it always stays pingable during this time.

When it happened I noted the times and later on checked /var/log/syslog for these times, but there is just nothing special I can find, what should lead to those disconnects or non-reachable times.

Is there a problem with the new architecture? Do I need a newer kernel?

Anyone having experience with Ryzen 3000 or an idea how to troubleshoot this?

Alone today I lost remote access (or got "connection refused") five to ten times without even doing anything.

Firewall is turned off, fail2ban is not installed.

hmm - on a hunch - could it be that something else is having the same IP in the network as your Ryzen Box?
* that would explain the being able to ping the ip consistently but getting timeouts on the services (you're pinging the other host with that ip)

* try pinging your gateway (or some other public ip (e.g.8.8.8.8)) from the Ryzen and see if it has constant access to the network.

else check `dmesg` and `journalctl -f` while the ryzen has no connectivity

Alright, I checked now everything: syslog, dmesg, several tcpdump files, ... and I really found nothing. I am lost here.

But I did something just for testing purposes and I am having a session open for over two hours without a connection loss.

I changed

Code:
auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address x.x.x.x
        netmask 255.255.255.248
        gateway x.x.x.y
        bridge-ports enp3s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

to

Code:
auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet static
        address x.x.x.x
        netmask 255.255.255.248
        gateway x.x.x.y

#auto vmbr0
#iface vmbr0 inet static
#        address x.x.x.x
#        netmask 255.255.255.248
#        gateway x.x.x.y
#        bridge-ports enp3s0
#        bridge-stp off
#        bridge-fd 0

So, removing the bridge helped, it seems.

What the hell is wrong with the bridge? Did I do something wrong here? Does Proxmox have a problem with the bridging?

This is just my management interface, but my problem is now: How do I get all the VMs/Guests to communicate over my other bonded interface (not mentioned here)? Do not I need a bride for that, too?

Btw, it is now nearly 24 hours with only one disconnect. So, my problem was the bridge interface definitively.

My problem stays then: How do I get all the VMs to talk with the outside world, if a vmbr0 is not possible?

Or also interesting: What is causing the problems on vmbr0? Is that a Proxmox or Debian problem or really a hardware issue?

Anyone knows how to troubleshoot Linux/Proxmox bridges?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!