[SOLVED] Proxmox 6.4-13 node (& VMs) gone in web frontend

MoxProxxer

Apr 25, 2018
One machine of mine seems to have lost track of everything
The node does not show, also no VMs running on that node are not shown.
However, both node and VMs continue to operate fine.
There's no cluster configured, it's a standalone node. Web frontend looks a little borked too.

Now I tried everything except rebooting the machine.

# service pveproxy restart

to no avail. For the life of me I cannot figure out what's wrong, as I have another machine running the exact same PVE version, also just as standalone node and everything is ok there.

Any hints what I could try?

Attachments

• node_gone.jpg
    node_gone.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
It seems this is the problem

Code:
# qm list
ipcc_send_rec[1] failed: No such file or directory
ipcc_send_rec[2] failed: No such file or directory
ipcc_send_rec[3] failed: No such file or directory

although no idea as of why.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/ipcc_send_rec-errors-after-fresh-install.66885/ seems not related.

This seems very similar to what I observe
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/ipcc_send_rec-failed-on-a-non-cluster-installation.14224/

but /etc/pve is mounted and looks ok to me. "service pve-cluster start" also throws no error
Code:
/dev/fuse                  30720         48      30672   1% /etc/pve

Hi,
what is the output of the following:
Code:
ls -l /etc/pve
ls -l /etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>
pveversion -v
systemctl status pve-cluster.service
Is there anything interesting in /var/log/syslog?

I seem to have solved it. There was a stray "stretch" left in
Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list

deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription

when system was on buster already. Not sure how that happened, because as I wrote I have a "twin" machine where basically everything is alike (and worked) and I used that for comparison.

I also only stumbled across that apt source problem when I decided to do a dist-upgrade and suddenly saw that the system downgraded proxmox from 6.4 to 5.4 (or 5.3 don't remember).

After changing that source to buster, doing a dist upgrade and restarting pvedaemon and pveproxy, reloading the web frontend, logging out, logging in, reloading again - and probably some rain dance - things started to work.

A few more glitches when clicking on VMs and retrieving infos - again a few reloads, and all seems to be working now.

So "SOLVED", probably the error was sitting in front of the keyboard, but for the life of me I do not fathom where I did take that wrong turn. Everything worked perfectly on both nodes for months and then suddenly one stopped working.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiona

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!