[SOLVED] Proxmox 6.3-2 gpu passthrough working 1080TI hangs at VM boot

kainxkitsune

Dec 30, 2020
Chicago Area
So, I was interested in learning proxmox, I though a good place to start was run proxmox on a machine and run a windows VM with a gpu so I could play games over the local network with something like parsec. following a guide like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HCzLhnNf-A&t=1168s with a few select tweaks (like selecting primary gpu and all features in the hardware area for the VM) it seemed like it was setup I was able to install the windows VirtIO Drivers. The 1080 TI shows up but on any reboot to try and get output out of it. it comes back up and gives a code 43. this is a single gpu system so I'm not sure if maybe it's the uefi/bios and grub intilizing the card thus giving issues when the VM wants to take control? when I boot the host I do see the bios splash, grub and two likes of the bootup "Loading Linux 5.4.73-1pve ..." and "Loading initial ramdisk ..." from there the display freezes on those two lines (i have a monitor plugged into the gpu) and i can assign the gpu and have it show in the vm but i never get a display out. and again just code 43 from windows device manager.

vm config is like this

Memeory 16 GiB
processors 15 [host,flags=+aes,hidden=1]
BIOS OVMF (UEFI)
Display (Standard VGA (std))
Machine q35
SCSI Controller VirtIO SCSI
Sata0
Sata1
PCI Device (hostpci0) 09:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1

and the host machine has the following specs
AMD Ryzen 2700X
32GB DDR4 Ram
GTX1080TI ZOTAC
1TB ssd
3TB hdd
Motherboard is a TUF B450-PLUS

Please bare with me. Completely new to proxmox, if any other logs or info is needed please let me know. oh and host is booting UEFI and the gpu should be UEFI compatible.

EDIT: made some progress, turning off CSM in my UEFI make the proxmox boot screen show up on my monitor on the 1080TI however booting into a manjaro VM with drivers it seems to hang at the boot screen. going to try windows here now.

EDIT2: so the gpu now displays the proxmox boot screen no issues but then it just hangs at the boot screen. never going through to the OS in windows or manjaro

EDIT: so right now booting I get the proxmox boot screen on the gpu which just hangs. but then i can still use vnc and login and use the OS so the whole VM isn't hanging. is there a missing step to disable the vnc device?

so final edit: looks like I needed to change the display from Standard VGA to VirtIO now I have a windows splash on my monitor! hopefully maybe this post can help someone who was in a similar spot as I was

Last edited:
Reactions: Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!