Proxmox 5 : IPv6 for containers and VM

JF002

Jul 17, 2017
Hi,

I'm using Proxmox 5. My provider provides me with 1IPv4 and a /64 IPv6.

I've already managed to create a NAT network to share the IPv4 with containers and VM.
But I don't know how to attribute IPv6 addresses to these containers and VM.
As I have a whole /64 subnet, I suppose I should be able to assign one or more addresses to the guest VM.

Here are the information from my provider:
  • IP : 2a03:4000:1c:199::/64
  • Gateway : fe80::1
And here is my current configuration (/etc/network/interfaces)

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface lo inet6 loopback

iface ens3 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  ***.***.***.***
        netmask  255.255.252.0
        gateway  ***.***.***.***
        bridge_ports ens3
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
        address  2a03:4000:1c:199::2
        netmask  64
        gateway  fe80::1

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address  10.129.0.1
        netmask  255.255.0.0
        bridge_ports none
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.129.0.0/16' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.129.0.0/16' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE

With this configuration, the host has IPv6 access. Could you explain me how to configure the CT/VM to assign them IPv6 addresses?

Thanks !

Ok, IPv6 seems a lot more complex than IPv4...

I don't need a full answer, with a working configuration file. I'm willing to learn and understand what I'm doing.
But IPv6 is a big subject. Could you point me to the correct terms, technologies, concepts,... I should understand before beeing able to use IPv6 on my CTs?

So, my 'main' interface is vmbr0, and IPv6 is working from the host.
Then, how will the VMs and CTs get their IPv6 addresses? I saw some articles about DHCP for IPv6, but also about SLAAC, NDP,... What should I use?

How to route the traffic from the main interface (vmbr0) to the VMs and CTs? Should I use iptables like for IPv4? modification the configuration via sysctl? Configure the interface? Manually add routes from the host to the vm? Anything else?

I'll take any information that could help me to evolve on the subject :)

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!