ProxMox 5 -> 6 (host migration)

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 14, 2016
Hi, I want to migrate my ProxMox 5 host to 6 and use UEFI boot. ASFAIK there is no direct migration path between 5 legacy boot to 6 UEFI boot. I would like to know how much of the old host I can migrate? Can i transfer the statistics as well?
I assume copying the /etc/pve/* should cover the VM/LXC configuration migration. My machines are on NAS so the VM migration should be smooth.
Is there anything else I have to copy?
Any other advise how to migrate the host configurations?
Thanks.

save /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db, you'll have the full /etc/pve.

reinstall server (same hostname, same ip)

after boot, stop corosync && pve-cluster

copy back config.db

reboot

and it should be ok.

ASFAIK there is no direct migration path between 5 legacy boot to 6 UEFI boot.

As with all in the Linux environment: sure there is way, but it is very time consuming and you need a live linux to do so (it involves moving your root and boot partition, which cannot be done on a live system if partitions are involved), the easiest and fastest way described @spirit already and I recommend that also.

Don't mind me asking: Why do you want to move to EFI if you already have a working system? I don't see the point in that besides "I want to". UEFI has no advantages in running PVE whatsoever and "you never change a running system".

Don't mind me asking: Why do you want to move to EFI if you already have a working system? I don't see the point in that besides "I want to". UEFI has no advantages in running PVE whatsoever and "you never change a running system".

This is my homelab and I will have a free weekend so ... :). Seriously though the main reasons I want to move to UEFI is - systemd-boot - really easy to manage and configure. If they used the grub for UEFI bootloader I wouldn't be so keen. I never got the hang of grub and I am scared of breaking anything every time I touch it.

Anyway the system is a couple of years old and I have messed with it a lot so clean install will be beneficial. @spirit thanks for the hint.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!