Proxmox 5.4 installation on existing zfs pool

ricardoj

Oct 16, 2018
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Hi,

I was testing version 5.4 on a test node running 5.2

During the installation process there were no errors but when I rebooted PVE can not start due a ZFS pool ID error message.

I went to the installation process twice but it only succeed when I boot with another Debian DVD and remove all the ZFS disk partitions.

The node was using ZFS RAID1 with 2 disks.

I don't know if this is the correct behavior for the installation process as it does not delete the previous pool and does not ask what to do with it.

In my case I want to install from scratch deleting previous ZFS pool.

Regards,

Ricardo Jorge

hi,

that's weird. we create our zpools during the installation with `zpool create -f -o cachefile=none` so -f is included and should overwrite existing zpools on the disk if that's the case (this is default behaviour for the installer since a long time)

on the node with the previously installed zfs pools, can you run the installer in debug mode (in the grub options while booting), press ctrl-d and then abort the installation.

afterwards run:
Code:
modprobe zfs
zpool list

what do you see?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!