Proxmox 5.4 Backup to NFS Slow or Stalls

zhoid

Sep 4, 2019
Hey Team,

Few weeks ago, I setup a FreeNAS server with a ZFS filesystem with large amount of data to dump backups for Proxmox VM's

Created NFS Share IP 10.10.10.50 and presented to Proxmox which mounted successfully.

When I backup any of my cPanel servers which are much bigger, the VM locks up after a while, unable to reboot it, I have to stop the backup and vm-unlock the VM then reboot.

It appears to get stalled at this point

INFO: creating archive '/mnt/pve/Backup-01/dump/vzdump-qemu-107-2020_01_13-20_31_06.vma.lzo'

Smaller servers which are less busy and HDD size like 50Gb <-> 80Gb used space have no issues backing up to the NFS Share.

I thought it was the machine I built, either the nics or drives or onboard controller or something.

I then build a 2nd FreeNAS machine 10.10.10.51 with different hardware and presented to Proxmox which mounted successfully.

Same issue as above.

I am not sure if it's a problem could be is it's a setting in NFS, proxmox or if this is a common problem.

I had 1 cPanel server backup successfully, tried multiple VM's on the same host, same problem.

Thanks

Zaid

hi,

to me it seems more like a lockup in your PVE host. maybe it runs out of memory or something similar? have you checked those kinds of things?

another thing you could try is to change the compressor option and see if that makes any difference

edit: also maybe a good idea is to debug network between NFS and PVE

Thanks for your response
Indeed I have checked the Host CPU, RAM and dish I/o nothing stands out

I have tried different hosts and all after hours when environment is not busy and still experience the same issue

thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!