Proxmox 5.4->6.1 & ZFS LUKS -> ZFS NATIVE?

barhom

Aug 12, 2014
Hey,

So I have been preparing for an upgrade from Proxmox 5.4 to 6.1.
The proxmox root will be installed in a LUKS encrypted boot hard drive (USB).

But the storage HDD's which are 12x4TB SAS HDDs are today configured as LUKS encrypted partitions with ZFS on top in a raid10 like setup.
What I am unsure is if it is worth it to destroy and recreate it to become ZFS native encryption.

What are your thoughts about this? Should one move from luks to zfs native encryption? Or is it not worth the hassle?

That depends:
* how do you plan to migrate the data - will you get a second set of disks and create a new pool?
* do you want to split the mirrors and create the new pool with half of the disks - migrate the data and then add the other set of disks to get the redundancy back?)
* what's your use-case of switching to ZFS-native encryption (do you want to send datasets to untrusted locations and know that they will still be encrypted)?

ZFS native encryption is considered production ready by upstream - and with the recent improvements, by recreating the SIMD instructions also gained quite a bit of speed, however LUKS might still have an edge when it comes to encryption speed

If you don't need any of the increased flexibility and/or are not changing your hardware - I probably would stick with LUKS until the next pool I create
(also the splitting up mirrors to create the new pool would be too risky for my taste - but that depends on the data and your use-case as well)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!