Proxmox 5.4-13 pveceph mon create failing when hostname is long

Marcin Kubica

Feb 13, 2019
Hi

Proxmox 5.4-13 - stock debian stretch

Not sure if this is a known issue, been trying to google in vain.

The moment I have hostname longer than 31 characters pveceph mon create will fail. The fun bit is, it can continue popping the error forever, but when I cancel and start mon service it's working ok.

Another thing to point out is, during [Errno 2] if I use another console session and start the ceph-mon service it will finish properly.

Code:
root@some-hostname-longer-than-31-chars:~# pveceph mon create
creating /etc/pve/priv/ceph.client.admin.keyring
monmaptool: monmap file /tmp/monmap
monmaptool: generated fsid 154a575c-b6c3-42b3-9a8c-2b941922a10a
epoch 0
fsid 154a575c-b6c3-42b3-9a8c-2b941922a10a
last_changed 2020-02-21 13:25:00.575531
created 2020-02-21 13:25:00.575531
0: 10.0.0.203:6789/0 mon.some-hostname-longer-than-31-chars
monmaptool: writing epoch 0 to /tmp/monmap (1 monitors)
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/ceph-mon.target.wants/ceph-mon@some-hostname-longer-than-31-chars.service -> /lib/systemd/system/ceph-mon@.service.
admin_socket: exception getting command descriptions: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
INFO:ceph-create-keys:ceph-mon admin socket not ready yet.
admin_socket: exception getting command descriptions: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
^Creceived interrupt

Last edited:
The upper limit seems to be 32 characters. Anything above results in no MON being added to the monmap. You may want to report this upstream [0] or on the mailing list [1] if you want to have a bigger limit. But it is unusual to have such a long hostname, I guess that is why it hasn't been noticed yet.

[0] https://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph
[1] https://lists.ceph.io/postorius/lists/

Thanks @Alwin

Is this really ceph issue? I know of ceph deployments off-proxmox and they work well with long hostnames of even 50 characters long.
You sure this is not pveceph wrapper / perl lib?

Best
Marcin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!