Proxmox 5.3 network setup help.

jim.bond.9862

Renowned Member
Apr 17, 2015
Hello.
As I am slowly rebuilding my home setup
I am coming across a few challenges that buffle me a little.
I have a server with 4 nics.
I thought I can reserve one as host interface. And use 3 other for all my vm tragic.
All 4 nics are. Plugged in onto the same switch and on the network.
I have vmbr0 on one of the mics, my main host interface,
I also created a bond on 3 others and setup vmbr1 on that bond.
All connections are dhcp as I do ip reservations on my router.
I add both bridges to mine VMs.
All seams to work except I do not get up address on vmbr1 and I do not get ip address inside container on nic linked to vmbr1.
All connections are slow.

My question would be this....
Is there a better way to use all 4 host nics so I can get a connection redundancy and speed on host and VMs.?

LnxBil, Tim,
I have read the wiki. Both of them.
They describe the mechanics of how to set it up. I am trying to figure out what is the proper setup for me.

Tim. In an essence I do have fixed ip.
It is just not configured in proxmox but on my router. I run pfsense box for my router.
I do up reservation on it for specific MAC
So any machine will get the same ip every time but the hostname resolution is way better than static ip setup.

LnxBil. How would I set this up?
Do a bond on all 4 nics and put vmbr0 on it?
Add all 4 nics to vmbr0 as ports?
What about load balancing or redundancy?
In a bond I have the option. Hiw does it work on vmbr0?

Ok I have a netgear 48port switch.
It has managed mode but I use whatever the default settings were. Don't want to manage it. Essentially want to use it as plain switch. What are my option for bonding.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!