Proxmox 4 - lcx fs

tomic

Jul 6, 2013
i saw other threads with similar questions - but there is no solution for me.

I used Proxmox 3.x with OpenVZ and was satisfied about accessing the filesystem under /var/lib/root or private to do some maintenance inside a Container - with Proxmox 4 there is only a raw file, which do not allow to access files inside from host-system - the admin is forced to access the container directly with winscp via ssh. Is there a solution for that?

The next troupe with proxmox 4 is right now, that there is no possibility to change the hdd-size of a lcx-container via gui - that is really bad for each admin if he/she is not able to increase the hdd if the container hdd is out of space. Is there a solution for that?

The next thing ist, that a raw hdd file of a container take the whole hdd space on the host system . this is extremly bad for Shared-Hosters like me.

The last really strange thing is, that the raw format of a lcx container do not allow rsync Backups of changes... if the admin would like to save only changes to another server, there is no way because rsync only see the changed raw file as one file. Is there a solution for that?

Best regards

take a deeper look on storing LXC container on ZFS.

some missing features like pve-zsync for containers or the resize of virtual disks on the gui will be released in the coming weeks, both is under development/testing and heavily requested already.

thank you Tom for tha fast response...

take a deeper look on storing LXC container on ZFS.
that can be the backup solution for a single server which backups itself. But if you would like to store backups to another/different server, it will be difficult to use.

What about the required space of such a raw file.... for example you have a server with 1 TB and 10 ct's with 100GB, there is no way to use the unused space of a container for another one.... sharing hdd-space ressources. Or do i missunderstand something?

And what about working directly in a containers filesystem to do some maintenance? If the solution would be to connect diretly into the container via ssh (secure risk), it will be a really bad solution.

Yes. ZFS and LXC + Backup only files works fine:

Code:
v-machines                                        2.93T  2.33T   104K  /v-machines
v-machines/home                                   2.53T  2.33T  2.53T  /v-machines/home
v-machines/subvol-109-disk-1                       595M  7.49G   527M  /v-machines/subvol-109-disk-1

Code:
root@pve-host:/v-machines/subvol-109-disk-1# ls
bin  boot  dev    etc  fastboot  home  lib  lib64  media    mnt  opt  proc    root  run  sbin  srv  sys  tmp    usr  var

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!