[SOLVED] Proxmox 4 delete cluster on server without reinstall

brickmasterj

Oct 18, 2015
By mistake I accidentally created a cluster on one empty, meaning no VM's are running and nothing important is stored on it, server. Now the easiest way to remove this cluster configuration is obviously reinstalling, but that'd require me to physically go down to it which is difficult ATM, so is there any option; purging, reinstalling or removing certain packages or files from afar to get it to start with a blank slate in terms of a cluster and be able to be added to a different pre-existing cluster? It's running the newest version of PVE4. Or would reinstalling really be the only viable option?

Last edited:
Normally those step should be enough:

* remove the cluster configuration: rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
* stop the corosync service: systemctl stop corosync
* remove the corosync auth keyfile: rm /etc/corosync/authkey
* restart the pve-cluster service: systemctl restart pve-cluster

It should be ok to add it to an existent cluster after that but i did not tested it some time, I'll look if there must be done anything else tomorrow.

Edit: look also at https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#pvecm_separate_node_without_reinstall (check out the whole chapter if you got time, could be quite useful)

Last edited:
Reactions: unixLike and chrone
Ok did a quick test, did not run into any problems works as expected.But restart the node you want to add after following my steps from above and before adding it to the existent cluster.
Worked perfectly, thanks you so much. Time to donate a cup of coffee ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!