Proxmox 4.4 with 3.10 kernel

bttd

Mar 30, 2017
Hi!

I have IBM x3850 m2 server and i want to use it with proxmox. I have problem with install proxmox, but i find the solution.

Ref: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/error-after-upgrade-to-4-0-from-3-4-and-with-fresh-install.23832/

So i can install and run proxmox with kernel boot arg iommu=soft. After this the server is very slow. If i try to stop all containers (70 container) it's around 40min.

So i try to downgrade my kernel to 3.10.22. I download the deb package and install it.

This one:
http://download.proxmox.com/debian/.../pve-kernel-3.10.0-22-pve_3.10.0-52_amd64.deb

The server now boot without iommu boot arg, but fail to start the containers with thsi error:

TASK ERROR: got empty cpuset for cgroup

KVM start without problem.
Is there any way to downgrade the kernel to 3.10?

In the thread what i link befor, it looks like 3.10 kernel work with 4.2 proxmox. Is there any way to downgrade to 4.2 from 4.4?

Or it is possible to make the 4.4 work with my server without iommu=soft?

Last edited:
In the thread what i link befor, it looks like 3.10 kernel work with 4.2 proxmox. Is there any way to downgrade to 4.2 from 4.4?

That is a bad idea, because you would run an old kernel with security bugs.

Or it is possible to make the 4.4 work with my server without iommu=soft?

You need to find out whats wrong with the megaraid_sas driver. You already contacted the hardware vendor? Can you install a plain Ubuntu or Debian?

That is a bad idea, because you would run an old kernel with security bugs.

You need to find out whats wrong with the megaraid_sas driver. You already contacted the hardware vendor? Can you install a plain Ubuntu or Debian?

Security bugs are not problem. The server connected to the internet but in a sub network and containers not reacheable from outside.
This IBM server and lsi megaraid card is end of life product. The last offical supported debian is debian 5.

BTW this is my raid card: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cg...otype=an&supplier=877&letternum=ENUSZG07-0681

maybe try to install kernel 4.10 from proxmox 5 repository ?

Why do you think 4.10 kernel work for me? It have some legacy support? Kernels since 3.19 not support this raid card.

Regards
Daniel

If KVM works OK, use a VM with 4.4 kernel inside, use that to run your LXC containers.

Lots of LXC related stuff changed around 4.4 kernel you are fighting a losing battle trying to make older kernels work with LXC - it's heavily dependent on kernel capabilities.

Or, you know, just change the RAID card.

If KVM works OK, use a VM with 4.4 kernel inside, use that to run your LXC containers.

Lots of LXC related stuff changed around 4.4 kernel you are fighting a losing battle trying to make older kernels work with LXC - it's heavily dependent on kernel capabilities.

Or, you know, just change the RAID card.

If i'ts not possible to run 4.4 on this hardware, i'm going back to 4.2 if it work with 3.10 kernel. I don't need cutting edge technology just a stable system. Is there any way to downgrade my proxmox or i need to make a fresh install?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!