proxmox 4.1 locked out of my host machine

eth

Feb 24, 2016
So I have been trying to install a NFS server on one of my LXC machines which required me to "apt-get install nfs-kernel-server" on the proxmox host. I noticed that during installation it did alot of alterations to kernel images, etc, etc...

When I did a "apt-get remove nfs-kernel-server" from the host, I lost SSH access:
Code:
Using username "root".
Authenticating with public key "fso-connect" from agent
Server refused to allocate pty

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
                                                                         the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
                                                           individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
           permitted by applicable law.
                                       stdin: is not a tty

I have partial access to the GUI (all the statistics are gone):
upload_2016-2-24_23-23-38.png

When I try to connect through SSH, syslog tab shows:
Code:
Feb 24 19:19:47 pve sshd[31032]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Feb 24 19:19:48 pve sshd[31032]: error: openpty: Permission denied
Feb 24 19:19:48 pve sshd[31032]: error: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed

When I try to start a console through GUI, I get in the syslog:
Code:
Feb 24 19:47:19 pve pvedaemon[2056]: starting vnc proxy UPID:pve:00000808:03547E47:56CDDE97:vncshell::root@pam:
Feb 24 19:47:19 pve pvedaemon[16551]: <root@pam> starting task UPID:pve:00000808:03547E47:56CDDE97:vncshell::root@pam:
Feb 24 19:47:19 pve pvedaemon[2056]: launch command: /usr/bin/vncterm -rfbport 5900 -timeout 10 -authpath /nodes/pve -perm Sys.Console -notls -listen localhost -c /bin/bash -l
Feb 24 19:47:19 pve pvedaemon[2056]: vncterm failed: : Permission denied

I am lucky that my LXC nodes are still working, but I am very afraid of doing anything at this point.
What are my options?

Last edited:
Refusing allocation of a tty usually happens on two occasions:

1) All available tty's are busy: This may happen when many terminal sessions are running
2) Your server is completely out of memory: Too many VM's allocated?

As for 1) ... see if you can create more tty's. A google for "udev tty creation" may help
For 2... just stop one VM that's not too critical to see if it solves your problem

Refusing allocation of a tty usually happens on two occasions:

1) All available tty's are busy: This may happen when many terminal sessions are running
2) Your server is completely out of memory: Too many VM's allocated?

As for 1) ... see if you can create more tty's. A google for "udev tty creation" may help
For 2... just stop one VM that's not too critical to see if it solves your problem

Thank you, but the resources were fine right before I removed nfs-kernel-server + "Permission denied" logs suggest that something happened with permissions. Unfortunately, I don't have any console access anymore.

(might request KVM from my datacenter tonight)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!