Proxmox 4.0 error message at VM start

e2k3

Oct 23, 2015
Hello Everybody,

i've installed Proxmox 4.0 on my test system and have restored my first backup, but now a problem has emerged.

Every VM i start (Restored backup or newly created VM) failes and i get this error message:

Running as unit 101.scope.
kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide0,cache=none,format=qcow2,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on: file system may not support O_DIRECT
kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide0,cache=none,format=qcow2,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on: Could not open '/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2': Invalid argument
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/systemd-run --scope --slice qemu --unit 101 -p 'CPUShares=1000' /usr/bin/kvm -id 101 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/101.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/101.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/101.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=2bdd25c3-9b48-4b3b-85ec-f7ec34a87940' -name Test -smp '1,sockets=1,cores=1,maxcpus=1' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000' -vga cirrus -cpu kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,-kvm_steal_time,enforce -m 128 -k de -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:7cc1e4a4694' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide0,cache=none,format=qcow2,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=100'' failed: exit code 1

My System
  • CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550
  • MB: ASUS P5K/EPU
  • NB: Intel P35
  • SB: ICH9
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR2
  • 4x HDDs are connected to onboard controller (WD VelociRaptor)
  • all 4 HDDs are configured as RAID-Z1
  • OS and VMs are on that RAID-Z1

i have installed all updates and already changed the cache options for the virtual HDD, but no luck so far.
Using VMDK as virtual disk produces same error.

please help ;)

E2K3

Every VM i start (Restored backup or newly created VM) failes and i get this error message:

Running as unit 101.scope.
kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide0,cache=none,format=qcow2,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on: file system may not support O_DIRECT

Please define a ZFS type storage on the Datacenter panel. This is required if you want to use ZFS.

It's working !!

many thanks.

(and the backup restore was much faster this time)

Can i still use the local storage for (container / ISO files) or should i completely ignore it ?

Best regards,
E2K3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!