[SOLVED] Proxmox 3.4: Ssh error between nodes

anvilcom

Renowned Member
Oct 26, 2015
I just created a cluster and added a node. I did have difficulties because the switch didn't not properly support multicasting. I replaced the switch and the node was added successfully.

Now when I ssh from the new node to the original node, I get the following error:
Code:
ssh pm1buffer_get_ret: trying to get more bytes 4 than in buffer 0
buffer_get_string_ret: cannot extract length
key_from_blob: can't read key type
key_read: key_from_blob 
 failed
buffer_get_ret: trying to get more bytes 4 than in buffer 0
 failed
buffer_get_ret: trying to get more bytes 4 than in buffer 0
 failed
Linux pm1 2.6.32-42-pve #1 SMP Fri Oct 9 10:50:32 CEST 2015 x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

The login is successful, but I'd like to get ride of the error. I've googled it and found that in most cases, it's an issue with a bad or corrupt known hosts file. I've moved the known_hosts files on both nodes from /root/.ssh/known_hosts to /root/.ssh/known_hosts.bak. I still get the error.

I've also run `pvecm updatecerts`. This also does not solve the problem. I feel it has to be another authorized_keys or authorized_hosts file on the system that is causing the error, but I haven't any idea which file it would be, or if it is another issue altogether.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I solved the issue. I had 3 entries that had newline after ssh-rsa in /etc/pve/priv/known_hosts. I guess that's why I saw the same error 3 times in a row. I commented them out and voila, it works without error. Then I permanently deleted those 3 entries and it seems to be solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!