Proxmox 3.1 unable to add network device in a debian container

carbonjoker

Oct 3, 2014
Hello,

i am currently having a few problems when trying to make a container with a network device as opposed to just an ipaddress. The problem that i am having is that the veth interface is not appearing in the interfaces list or on ifconfig.

i have done quite a bit of looking around trying to find the reason as to why it is not working however i am still none of the wiser :(

I have ensured that the [FONT=Liberation Mono, Andale Mono, DejaVu Sans Mono, Vera Sans Mono, Consolas, Courier, monospace]vzethdev module is loaded on the HN[/FONT]

[FONT=Liberation Mono, Andale Mono, DejaVu Sans Mono, Vera Sans Mono, Consolas, Courier, monospace]I have tried to manually add the connection into the interfaces.tail and interfaces.head however they did nothing

I have tried creating new VM's and tried to use the vzctl command the the HN to add the network device afterwards however it has still not recognised it anywhere.

does anyone know what could be causing this? am i missing a module for my containers in order to use this feature?
[/FONT]

Configure your /etc/network/interfaces to start eth0 within your container.

I use this method all the time.

would i put it in the interfaces.head? as im sure any manual changes in interfaces gets over written by the autogenerator

and i would put 'auto eth0' to start it right?

Last edited:
would i put it in the interfaces.head? as im sure any manual changes in interfaces gets over written by the autogenerator

and i would put 'auto eth0' to start it right?

No. This is the /etc/network/interfaces I made on one of my debian containers:

Code:
auto lo 
     iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.6.16
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.6.254

you could do
Code:
iface eth0 inet dhcp
if you just wanted to use a dhcp server instead.

No. This is the /etc/network/interfaces I made on one of my debian containers:

Code:
auto lo 
     iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.6.16
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.6.254

you could do
Code:
iface eth0 inet dhcp
if you just wanted to use a dhcp server instead.

Right i just tried that and when i restarted my container i got this message:

Code:
Cannot find device "eth0"
Failed to bring up eth0.

AH wait it is fine i forgot to add the vmbr0 on the proxmox gui. once i added that it works :) thanks :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!