Proxmox 2.x intel i3-3220T , just stay away from it..

michaelvv

Renowned Member
Oct 9, 2008
Hi Proxmox...

Just a warning which properly can help you now that I have wasted 2 fully
days on this CPU.

I have testet it on 2 different board with in total 8 different BIOS updates and
this CPU is not what you want your worst enemy to own...

DH67BL , BIOS used 0067 (no boot) 0151 (no boot) 0159 (boot ok)
DH77DF , BIOS used all up to (103) 5 in total

It can not run FreeBSD KVM 64-bit at all.
It have NIC detecting problems with the PfSense 2.01 even in 32-bit.
It hangs proxmox 2.2 on shutdown on a Intel DH67BL board.

My DH67BL with the i5-2500K runs like a dream.

See this thread for further info : http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/11...-8-3-AMD64-freezes-can-not-start-installation

Do you need to be ULTRA stable stay away from it...

/Michael

Last edited:
thanks for info.

but as a general rule, never use desktop hardware if you want a server. this is just another example.

desktop hardware works most times but also sometimes not. server hardware is the way to go. if you still want desktop boards, check this forum for recommendations.

but yes, there are also faulty server boards around, especially from low price vendors. generally, you get what you pay for.

there is also certified hardware and recommended servers, or just rent a certified server from one our hosting partners if you run the servers in a data-center.

Hi Tom.

In generel I agree. The issue in the real world could be another thing , the money...

I'm developing an application based on Pfsense + Proxmox + a lot of home brewed software.

I have had 6 Intel Desktop Board series over the last 7 years and I had used proxmox since 0.7
and i have never ever had any Issue with Full Intel setup..

I have 5 mini-itx out running , some for more than 1.5 years uptime is 99.99%..

My Last job we were exclusive using SuperMicro, some has now been running for +3 Years
and some PSU need to be changed. Else Super Stability..

If customer can effort it , it's very fine , but money is tight at least here in Denmark :)

So if you have to challenge cheapo HP or Dell , The Intel board i have tested has at least the
same or mostly better stability , and I can stay in Buisness..

I'll post more info this evening regards the DH77DF and an Intel i5-3570 , hopefully it can do what
i want to :)

/Best Michael.

keep us informed, the forum is the best place for sharing experiences with different hardware setups.

I had nic problem's running pfsense 2.01 under KVM as well, this was with a dualport intel pci-e which i was passing on through iommu. When i switched to 2.1 all problems dissapeared, even though it's still in beta it's much better behaved and very solid so far. Please note however that the installer dated nov14 is bugged for KVM, the one from nov7 works fine(in case you wanted to try it hehe).
I didn't have those problems with Proxmox(i just switched today) but i thought i'd mention it anyway.

Hi Tom...

See the thread over which board i have that can install the Pfsense64 2.01 AMD Image....

/Best Michael

Hi Riotvan...

Could even install the version 12 nov 2012 , 2.1 on my Intel i3-3220T or i5-3570...

When i changed to I5-2500K , it just works fine...

Have just tried virtio drivers from the Pfsense 2.1... Would be nice to see lower CPU usage on it.

Please post what board + Cpu your are using ....

/Best Michael

Hi Riotvan...

Could even install the version 12 nov 2012 , 2.1 on my Intel i3-3220T or i5-3570...

When i changed to I5-2500K , it just works fine...

Have just tried virtio drivers from the Pfsense 2.1... Would be nice to see lower CPU usage on it.

Please post what board + Cpu your are using ....

/Best Michael

The board i'm using is an Intel DQ67OW(0065 bios) with an i7-2600S cpu since i wanted vt-d. The cpu usage while idle is 0% inside the vm and 6-7% according to the web interface. Not sure btw if the onboard nic is supported by 2.01, i have never tested it. I'm using 32bit version to save some memory usage.

Also i saw your thread over at pfsense.org and they say they fixed the kvm installer bug. So does your i3-3220T and i5-3570 install properly now? That just leaves your problem with the i3 which is odd, perhaps the cpu is defective? Stranger things have happend i would contact intel they are pretty good and quick when it comes to support.

Last edited:
Aha you're right for some reason my brain went to sandy bridge for the cpu, sorry hehe. So you tested with 2 different i3-3220T's did i read that correctly? If so i'm pretty much stumped must be some weird bug somewhere then in kvm, freebsd or maybe proxmox. You could try something like fedora 17 with kvm, libvirt and virt-manager see what happens then. Here's that link btw http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,55679.0.html

Good luck!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!